June 22, 2015

My Mexican Grandparents

When I was younger, I would tell people that I had 3 sets of grandparents. In grade school, a teacher of mine said that it wasn't biologically possible with my current nuclear family. I tried to explain to her that I had two Mexican grandparents in addition to my Japanese ones. At the time, I didn't understand how they couldn't be my grandparents. Having grown up in the same house for my entire life, I never knew them as my neighbors, they were always Grandpa and Grandma.  Since they lived across the street, I actually saw them much more often than most of my biological relatives.

They would shower me with hugs and kisses whenever they saw me, and were always so proud of my various sports and academic accomplishments. I felt so special having an extra pair of loving elders in my life.

Growing up they were always looking after us. If they noticed a car in the driveway on a weekday afternoon (usually meant someone was sick), they'd call to check on us. If we went out of town, they would grab our mail, collect our new papers, and watch after the house. Oftentimes when we got home at the end of the day, we were greeted with warm hello's, from across the street, as they sat on their front porch. 

Times have changed though... Grandpa passed always a couple years ago and grandma became more and more forgetful. We'd wave to her as she sat on the porch, but she wouldn't wave back. Not sure if she couldn't see us, or just didn't recognize us anymore. A few weeks ago she was diagnosed with stomach cancer, but at 98, hospice and comfort care were the only options. She passed peacefully at home last week. It still hasn't fully sunk in that she's gone. 

My apologies, I didn't write this post to be morbid, but to remind myself how lucky I was to have an extra set of grandparents. People would look at me sideways when I'd talk about my Mexican grandparents, but I was always so proud to tell people about them. Having friends who never had the chance to meet some of their grandparents, I am so thankful that God blessed me with 6. 

3 comments:

  1. Awe... what a beautiful tribute to these two people who took you into their hearts and became such wonderful surrogate grandparents. It's so great that you had them ♡ xox

    Thank you for the kind and sweet comment on my blog xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me a bit of the videos you shared a while back. You easily could have biological Mexican grandparents but you would get the same reaction either way. I think such snap judgements will slowly fade out as the great melting pot promised for decades becomes a reality more and more. Your words are so full of respect and love. I knew people in my neighborhood growing up. but no one that was ever as important than that. That is truly a blessing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to grow up with such special neighbors. It's nice that they had such long lives and sad that they're gone. Time pauses for no one.

    I've got an antibiotic resistant bronchial infection, it's been keeping me quiet for the past ten days.

    ReplyDelete