June 02, 2015

When I was 18 | Looking Back

Looking back at my first blog, there is one thing that I wish I had done differently:
I wish I didn't use my full name. 

Being of Japanese descent, I have an extremely uncommon and distinct surname. My blog URL was my first and last name, making my personal ramblings and photos available for all see with a quick Google Search. There isn't another person out there with the same first and last name as myself. Had my surname been Smith, Garcia, or Wang, I wouldn't have had a problem, but that wasn't the case.  

Thus being one of the reasons for the new blog. 
There are plenty of people in this world who don't know boundaries; or what 'No.' and 'Not interested.' mean; or when to stop making unwanted advances. The Internet has gotten me into some unwanted situations in the past, and now I'm just being extra cautious. 

So for now, I'm just D. 

2 comments:

  1. I know it won't surprise you that I support the caution 100%! Pre-Internet days a person might encounter a handful of unpleasant...oddballs. And a handful of great people. Now we can meet lots of all types. The good, the bad and the ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I've met some really great people (my bf being one of them), but definitely too many odd balls to be comfortable sharing too much online. I keep telling myself, "I should've listened to my mother when she warned me!" Lol

      Delete